Sunday, January 17, 2010

2. Social Capital, Six Degrees, and SNA

What's good y'all? Hope everyone is enjoying their extended weekend thanks to the great Martin Luther King Jr.

Today, I read two very interesting articles related to evolution in social networking and how to adapt and manage this change in the workplace. The articles are listed below with links:

Improving Your Ability to Share and Connect (Mark Zuckerberg on the Facebook Blog)

I understand that Facebook will continue to evolve over time and the amount of information available to users will increase as well. These are things that Facebook must do in order to stay ahead of the competition but here is a question that I want to pose:

At what point in this evolution will there be TOO MUCH information available to users? Are we at this point now with the Live News Feed?

I can log on to Facebook right now and know what most people did last night just from the live news feed which is a little creepy. I understand that people don't need to update their status' with what they did or plan to do but the live news feed makes everything a little too easily accessible...can you imagine the next updated and improved live news feed?

In the end, users will have to adapt or decide if they want to continue with social networking. My guess is that they will choose to adapt.


Reality mining is an intriguing science that is so precise due to the massive amounts of information available. It is able to predict actions in daily life based on the frequency and date of an event.

When will businesses start taking full advantage of reality mining? Does this violate the rights of employees? I know that I wouldn't want my boss to know everything I did every single day. I think it would create anxiety in the work place thus creating a negative environment.

I have no problem, however, with reality mining being used to help predict the spread of disease outbreaks, social trends, and other hidden phenomena.


Alright thats enough from the Bosssssssss for this week. Peace.

4 comments:

  1. First of all, I must say that I enjoyed reading your blog. You asked some very intriguing questions. Secondly, I agree with you especially about how will we determine that the evolution of Facebook has reached the point of too much information being available to users. Also, I'm curious to learn more about reality mining and how it affects the rights of employees. And finally, I may not be a fan of Rick Ross but I sure like to read the "Thoughts of a Bossssssssss".

    ReplyDelete
  2. As seen in my response to Salman's blog, I feel that there is already excessive irrelevant information being circulated on Facebook including what people buy, where people travel, how people feel or various day-to-day drama. For example, one of my friends bragged about buying a pair of name brand ski pants for a bargain. It is becoming a full-time job to manage information about everyone on your friend list. As I accept new friends, I have to add them to the appropriate list as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha ha. i completely argue with that facebook is getting out of hand about how much information they are requiring to disclose to other users; it's really creepy how much you can find out about people and what they are doing. And your absolutely right about how users will have to adapt. Social networking is the new crave.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another intriguing thought about the future of social networking is the long-term implication that our overly-documented lives will have on our plans. It seems that we will be the first generation to have chronicled our daily lives in what will become a full archive of our pasts. Already we hear of experiences where job offers are revoked due to questionable content on a new hire's Facebook page. Will the future of Facebook, and other networking platforms for that matter, account for this? Does security compromise or inhibit the potential of social networks? ...Food for thought!

    ReplyDelete