Monday, February 22, 2010

7. Talking LinkedIn Along with a Funny Side Note Because It's My Birthday

What's good y'all? Today is the Bossssssssss' birthday (I'm 22) and I am currently in the library but I guess I can't complain because Mardi Gras was the best weekend/decision of my life.

I wanna talk about LinkedIn and how you can use it to get a job because it's tough these days. I just read an article by Brian Wallace titled "How to Get the Most out of LinkedIn" and it made me realize that I need to start using LinkedIn more since I am graduating soon and haven't made much of an attempt at finding a job. I created a LinkedIn account for one of my Kogod classes a while ago but have yet to really take advantage of what it has to offer.

LinkedIn is a great tool to expand your business network in the same way that Facebook is a great way to expand your social network. I think soon it will be standard for business majors to include that they have a LinkedIn profile as apart of their resumes. It is also an excellent tool to use for research: information before business meetings, information on interviewers for jobs, and background checks. It can also be used to gain knowledge in your industry by checking out questions that have been posted by other members.

Another reason why I plan on utilizing LinkedIn more is that I think it is here to stay because the fact is that they have 60 million users worldwide. I also believe they will come up with some innovative apps which will help make LinkedIn even more attractive and useful.

On another note, I was checking out an ESPN article earlier tonight about an Oregon WR who just got kicked off the football team by the head coach for making inappropriate posts and status updates, here is an example: "I wish I could block whites as friends as and have blacks LOL, cause apparently I'm misunderstood." I just found this too funny and had to post it...some people are just so dumb.

This is just another example of how you must about what you post in any social network because what you post/how you represent yourself can get you in a lot of trouble. How miserable would it be to be fired for you posted on facebook!


5 comments:

  1. LinkedIn seems like an amazing tool. When I read about how many Fortune 500 companies were listed with them I flipped. My consider getting one myself. They should make it mandatory for business majors to get one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since so many people use LinkedIn, I am certain that we will gain insights from reading other profiles. For example, how to present ourselves better and pick up a few pointers on resume preparation, interview skills and business etiquette. The sooner we set up the LinkedIn account, the better off we will be in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the others. I've had a LinkedIn account for over a year now but haven't really took advantage of it. Also, after reading the article then I learned new ways to use LinkedIn. I didn't know you could do all that with a LinkedIn account. I just thought it made me look good when I googled myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ricky Rosss, I agree completely with your post. I think you make a great point that Linkedin is most likely here to stay especially because they have nearly 60 million users

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think LinkedIn is still growing as a company. As more users update their profile it is encouraging both companies and prospective employees. As more users join I think it will attract more employers who will be able to offer more jobs.

    ReplyDelete