Sunday, February 28, 2010

8. I feel bad for people who use Second Life

Today, I read about Second Life and virtual education. To be honest, I think that Second Life is used by people that have no real lives. I personally do not know anyone who has tried Second Life but once saw a True Life episode on MTV about it and every person who used it let it completely take over their lives (I know this isn't true of everyone). It kind of reminds of World of Warcraft.

Both articles I read talked about how it can add educational value. The problem is that I don't think that Second Life does that...it cannot replace the classroom and blackboard is a way better tool to have a virtual classroom on. It does not enhance the classroom because you must be familiar with Second Life for that too be true and most students are not. I don't think it is a good recruiting tool either. How many seniors in high school are going to research their college in Second Life as opposed to actually visiting the school or going to the school website.

So what do you guys think: Can Second Life be a valuable tool to help further education?

If anyone is interested in learning further about Second Life and virtual education here are the two articles I read Learning in Second Life: Virtual Education and Virtual World, Real Money in Second Life. Both articles propose advantages of Second Life and education so you may want to give them and look and then decide if you with me or not.

Been Bosssssssssssssin' since 88'.

5 comments:

  1. Although I am not familiar with Second Life, I believe Second Life can be a valuable supplement, but not a replacement to education. For example, the Yale University's paper mill project sounds like a cost effective way for students to explore the paper mill machinery and process. The good thing about Second Life is the fact that universities can offer classes to students all around the world at a low cost.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good points about second life I completely agree that people are letting it take over their lives. I do believe there is some value however, in the idea of visiting colleges because it allows someone who can't afford to take a plane and visit at least get some sense of the campus

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha, I agree with you that Second Life is a very strange concept. I don't know how anyone can be satisfied "living" in a virtual world. It better not be the new World of Warcraft.
    Though i think it will be able to help teachers educate their students

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree about feeling bad for people who use Second Life, I don't see how spending money on fake articles of clothing and other ways to make your avatar look better will actually help your real life out. It just seems like a con for Second Life to get money.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For the record, I'm not in favor of Second Life though the possibility exist that it can add some educational value. I think that in theory it makes sense but in reality it doesn't. It will cost too much for students to posses this software, not to mention we need to learn how to use it. And to add to an earlier comment about this software allowing someone to view a campus when they can't afford a plane ticket....well, in the first place why are they even considering the campus if they can't afford a plane ticket? Just doesn't make sense to me.

    ReplyDelete